This Emergency Fire Starter made by SE is one of the most popular and is a great addition to any campers supply arsenal. Made of combustible magnesium that creates a flame source of 5400°F it makes an ideal emergency fire starter for most dry conditions. The extreme heat put off by the magnesium fire starter will ignite tinder that may even be slightly damp.
To use this product you simply shave small pieces of the magnesium off and place it on your tinder pile. Your tinder pile should consist of flammable material like paper, leaves or dried grass. Next, you strike the magnesium rod using the striker while holding it close to the shavings which will ignite the shaved off magnesium and start your fire.
Tip: To get the biggest shavings using this tool you’ll want to scrape the magnesium bar perpendicular to the edge of the tool. When using the saw blade type striker that comes with this item you’ll need to wear through the layer of lacquer that it comes with for it to work properly. You can use a cheap blade or pocket knife for this.
Here’s some of the best features of the Emergency Fire Starter by SE:
- Creates a flame source of 5400°F
- Can start a fire using magnesium shavings and flint striker
- Can start many fires with this fire starter
- Great addition to emergency camping supplies
- Easy to use
- Low price product
- Can ignite damp (not wet) tinder
- Serrated edge creates a lot of sparks
- Long lasting
- Made in China
- The shortness of this item can make it difficult to use
- Hard to strike for a spark
- May take multiple attempts to ignite a fire
Have you tried using the Emergency Fire Starter? If so, we’d love to hear what you thought about this product. Leave your review below to share with our readers.